One of the very few things I (Misako) miss after I stopped eating meat and poultry 7 years ago is Karaage (Japanese fried chicken). It’s so juicy and delicious!
Tonight was the day - I made Tofu Karaage! When you freeze and thaw tofu, it makes a lot of pores inside due to the water of tofu freezing and making holes as it defrosts. What’s left here? Real vegan meat with no weird additives!
I’m so pleased with this recipe and my Karaage loving husband approved it. I hope you give it a try!
|Serving: 4||Prep time: 40 minutes|
350 g Firm Tofu, frozen and thawed
4 Tbsp Shio Koji (or 1 1/2 - 2 Tbsp soy sauce)
3 cloves Garlic, grated
2 tsp Ginger, grated
Tapioca starch or potato starch
Refined coconut oil or other high-smoke point oil
Lemon juice (optional)
- Cut tofu in blocks and freeze them in a glass container. Use parchment paper between so they don't stick to one another. It's normal to become yellow when frozen, so don't worry!
- After freezing them for 24 hours, slowly defrost them in the fridge for another 24 hours. Drain them well once completely thawed.
- Marinate tofu in the Shio Koji marinade with ginger and garlic for several hours. Put starch in a plastic bag and shake tofu in the closed bag with air to evenly coat the starch.
- Heat oil in a deep pan and put tofu. Deep fry them until crispy and golden on both sides.
- Squeeze lemon juice on top (optional).