Jang Tteok is Korean savoury pancake seasoned with Jang like Ganjang (soy sauce), Doenjang (fermented soybean paste), Gochujang (fermented chili paste). This version is seasoned with Gochujang, which can be called 'Gochujang Tteok'.
Jang Tteok is a perfect dish for appetizers, side dish or finger food. It has a crispy outer layer and a soft, fluffy inside. Gochujang adds a little kick to it. Try this savoury comfort food and see for yourself!
|Serving: makes 25 mini pancakes||Prep time & Cook time: 30 minutes|
Cooking oil (Sunflower seed/grapeseed/rice bran/avocado, etc.) to fry
1 Cup Finely chopped or shredded potato
1 Cup Chopped Chinese chives or green onion (about 1 cm length)
1/2 Cup Chopped well fermented sour Kimchi
1/2 Cup Corn kernels
1/4 Cup Shredded carrot
1/4 Cup Finely chopped onion
1 Cup All purpose flour
2 Tbsp Corn starch
1/4 Cup Kimchi juice
3/4 Cup Cold water
1/2 Tbsp Toasted sesame oil
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Black pepper
(Optional) 1 Tbsp Toasted sesame seeds
(Optional) 1 Tbsp Hemp seeds
- Prepare listed vegetables and set aside.
- In a medium mix bowl, add water and Kimchi juice and season it with Gochujang, sesame oil and salt.
- Add sifted flour and corn starch, then mix it with a whisk gently (Do not over stir for crispiness)
- Put prepared vegetables, sesame seeds and hemp seeds if you are using then mix thoroughly.
- Heat a frying pan, and add 1 or 2 Tbsp of cooking oil. Once it's heated, scoop out the mixture and fry both side until it's crispy.