Gochujang Caramel Popcorn
We all know Movies & Popcorn are a great combo. I (Jungyeon) have fond memories of the intoxicating aroma of popcorn when I stepped into cinemas. Since I haven't been to a movie theatre for over a year due to the pandemic, I started watching more movies at home. Every time I watch a movie, I crave for popcorn, otherwise my craving for popcorn is rare. To be honest, I am not a huge fan of microwave popcorn, so I started stocking up organic popcorn kernels from bulk section at the store. It is actually quite affordable to buy kernels this way, plus you can reduce unnecessary plastic waste as well! Double combo!
I have made popcorn with a variety of homemade seasonings so far. My own blends of herbal salt, miso caramel sauce, simple salt and pepper, garlic honey are a few examples. Out of all these flavours, I was quite happy with the use of miso for popcorn. It elevates the taste of popcorn to another level. Then one day, an idea crossed my mind. 'Why not use Gochujang to make sweet and spicy yet savoury popcorn?'
So, this is the result of my crazy thought! My friends and myself enjoyed a lot and I hope you do the same!
|Serving: 3-4||Prep time & Cook time: 10-15minutes|
3 Tbsp Coconut oil or other cooking oil
1/3 Cup Popcorn Kernels
For Gochujang popcorn seasoning
1 Tbsp Cooking oil (Sunflower/grapeseed/rice bran/avocado, etc.)
1/2 Tbsp White Miso or Classic/Adzuki/Butternut Miso
1/2 Tbsp Gochujang
3 Tbsp Maple syrup or Honey
(optional) 1 tsp Garlic powder or 2 tsp of minced fresh garlic/ Nutritional yeast
To make popcorn
- Place 3 Tbsp of cooking oil of your choice and 3 popcorn kernels in a large sauce pan (2 L).
- Cover and cook over medium-high heat until all 3 kernels pop.
- Take the three kernels out of the pan and add the rest of the popcorn kernels (1/3 Cup).
- Cover and take the pan off of the heat and wait 30 seconds.
- Put the pan back on the heat and shake the pot occasionally, so the kernels pop evenly.
- After roughly 2 minutes, when popping sound slows down take the lid off and pour them to a bowl to set aside.
Gochujang Popcorn seasoning
- Wipe the pan used for popcorn with paper towel, and put cooking oil, miso, gochujang and maple syrup (or honey). (add garlic if you are using fresh one)
- Place the pan back on the stove at low-medium heat and then stir the sauce ingredients to be mixed well.
- Heat the sauce until it bubbles up a bit and slightly thicken.
- Pour the sauce over the prepared popcorn evenly and toss well so the sauce can cover the popcorn well. (if you use garlic powder and/or nutritional yeast, sprinkle them now)
- There you have it! Enjoy :)
We hope you love this recipe as much as we do! if so, please leave a comment below and share this recipe!
Leave a comment
Please note, comments must be approved before they are published